Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Healthy Choices at the Grocery Store

I get a lot of questions about what kinds of food I eat, so I thought I'd share with you guys my typical grocery list. Keep in mind, some of these items last me a few weeks, so I don't necessarily buy everything on this list EVERY week, but these are the foods that you will always find in my house!

Fruits:
Bananas
Honeycrisp Apples
Strawberries
Frozen blueberries

Veggies:
Fresh Zucchini squash
Spaghetti squash
Green peppers
Onions
Sweet potatoes
Long hots
Frozen green beans
Frozen broccoli
Frozen stir fry mix

Protein:
Chicken breast
99% Lean ground turkey breast
Steaks (I splurge on some good quality filets occasionally!)
Frozen Tilapia
Frozen Mahi Mahi
Applegate farms all natural uncured Sunday bacon
Turkey Pepperoni (Hormel, usually)
Salt and Vinegar Almonds
Jif Whipped PB
Liquid Egg Whites

Dairy:
Chobani fat free plain Greek Yogurt
2% Small curd cottage cheese
Unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk (Almond breeze brand)
Crumbled goat cheese
Part Skim Mozzarella

Carbs:
Old Fashioned oats
Tumaro brand multi-grain wraps
Ezekiel Bread (regular and cinnamon raisin)
Instant Whole grain brown rice

Other:
Reduced fat Veganaise
Low sugar Marinara (or other pasta sauce with less than 4g sugar)
Various hot sauces  ;) ;)
Low sugar BBQ sauce
Fat free/sugar free cool whip
Sugar Free Maple syrup
Mrs. Dash salt free seasoning

If you're interested in the list of items I keep around for protein baking, here's a quick list!
Sugar free mini chocolate chips
Coconut Flour
Almond meal/flour
Truvia Natural calorie free sweetener
Various whey proteins
Extra oats to blend into oat flour
Calorie free cooking spray
Coconut flakes
Dates
Chopped nuts

I could spend HOURS in the grocery store. More specifically, I could spend hours in Wegman's. I love their selection of store brand organic products, natural baking ingredients, and gluten free selection! I find their prices to be slightly below average as well.

I find that making a list is really helpful to keep me on track and stopping me from picking up little extras that I wouldn't normally buy.

 If your local grocery store or market doesn't carry some of these items, you can find most of them on my favorite website, Vitacost! Seriously, check it out....so many awesome healthy products at excellent prices!  Hope this helps you guys make some smarter choices during your next trip to the grocery store! :)




2 comments:

Any rude, negative or inappropriate content will be removed :)